Wednesday 18 July 2007

OPML Manager & N95 views

I've been playing around on a website called OPML manager which, as you may guess, creates and manages OPML files (outline Files) that are often used for Podasting Feeds, but also pretty good for transportable Favourites lists for Mobile Phones.

Firstly I was just mucking about and looking to create a favourites file that i could access on the PC, Laptop, at Work and also on the mobile phone. I soon realised that the website itself offered different views of the same OPML file that gives differing uses.

Firstly, I created my own feed, but then tried a more generic feed looking at Nokia N95 RSS and Podcasting stuff.

This link http://www.opmlmanager.com/opml/N95RSS.opml when pasted into the Nokia Podcasting Application provides a folder with subscribible feeds including MP3 podcasts and RSS links opened via the web. Very handy and easy to personalise.

I then decided to go one further and look at creating a whole set of Mobile Web site links. Lets face it the N95 browser is ace for looking at web sites, but for general everyday browsing on the phone its better to look at mobile optimised web sites (still find it very annoying when it defaults that way such as the BBC).

So the output of this experiment was this http://www.opmlmanager.com/opml/mobilewebsites.opml a starter for ten. If you know of any really great mobile web sites (I have a UK slant) that I should add, please let me know.

I then saw a link for optimising the look for mobile phones, which looks like this http://www.opmlmanager.com/mob/mobilewebsites Looks pretty good don't it?

However, one of the features of OPML Manager is being able to look at OPML files in outline format. I think that this is an even better format for display on a Mobile Phone as it is expandable/collapsible. See this http://www.opmlmanager.com/outliner/mobilewebsites. A much better format in my view.

There are lots of other things that can be done, such as exporting the OPML, creating a bitty etc, but i am quite happy hosting on the site and have also created myself another OPML file loosely based around the Nokia N95 which can also be displayed in all formats, but detailed in outliner format below

http://www.opmlmanager.com/outliner/NokiaN95

See what you think

2 comments:

gerrymoth said...

Thanks mate, great collection of links, some I've not came across in my travels round the net.

Wavey Davey said...

Cheers,
I'm going to continue maintaining them as they will be my main bookmarks from my phone so if you find any 'must have' mobile sites or NokiaN95/symbian sites let me know.