Wednesday 20 October 2010

Weston Beach Race 2010 Start (via iPhone and Pen)

Had a great time at Weston Beach Races again this year. If you haven't been make a date for next year. It is raw and dirty and you get close enough to feel it (still hoping the sand hasn't damaged the camera) and taste it. To be fair you could possibly taste it from about a mile away.


Weston Beach Race 2010


Whilst most spectators, me included, spend most of the 3 hours watching the riders cornering, getting stuck and tackling the dunes the start is a sight to behold.

This year about 500 bikes lined up and I can only describe the look and roar as the heat haze and sand cloud come out of the distance as being like something out of Mad Max.

Video never does it justice but I try. I shot the start in 2008 on a Nokia N95 and that can be found on my Youtube channel along with some other snippets. This year I tried some HD filming on both my iPhone 4 (by hand) and Olympus Pen (attached to the railing via a Gorrilapod). Each clip is reproduced below. Let me know which you think took the better shot.

The photo above was taken on my iPhone. More are available on my Flickr Set along side some Olympus Pen shots (damn why didn't I take the zoom lens). Eventually more video will be put up on youtube.

iPhone Version


Olympus Pen Version






Find me on Twitter at @waveydavey001

Get MOTOGP, WSBK, BSB & F1 2011 Dates in iCal and XML calendar formats here

blog comments powered by Disqus