Tuesday 16 November 2010

For The Benefit of Mr Jobs

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Beatles. I really do. And I recently purchased the Mono Box set on CD (yes CD). I got it for less than £100 (still bloody expensive) but I bet it is better quality than anything Apple will sell me (cheaper too).

I don’t buy MP3s or AAC or digital music in general. I’m old fashioned and I like (and trust) the physical medium with Graphics and sleeve notes. I can rip it into today’s format, back it up easily, and not worry if I change technology (and I’ve had ATRAC, MP3 and AAC so it isn’t just DRM that can annoy me).

It is good that Artists get paid something for their work and especially new artists. I don’t think Sir Paul will need the royalties Divorce or not so I prefer to get my classics somewhat cheaper.

Is this a day we’ll never forget like Jobs said? I Doubt it, but it is a great advert for Apple who in the paid online music business remain to be beaten despite Spotify etc.

As I write the Beatles Red Album is doing quite well on iTunes at £17.99. Here are some real solid deals you might want to consider instead

The Fall the Complete Peel Sessions £16.79 – 6 CDs of a band like Marmite (luv em or hate them)

Joy Division – Heart and Soul 4cd collection £9.87 or New Order Retro 4cd £16.99 – A massive end to end history

Lee Scratch Perry – Arkology £16.43. 52 tracks of a Reggae/Dub producer genius at his absolute prime

Miles Davis – Complete Columbia Recordings £12.99 – Legendary Jazz albums from Jazz Masters Miles Davis and Gil Evans with outtakes £12.99. Includes Sketches from Spain and Porgy and Bess

Johnny Cash Legend 4CD £12.99 – Because he is, well.. a legend

Elvis Presley – From Nashville to Memphis (5 CDs) £12.99 – 60s brilliance from the King

The Message. Story of Sugarhill Records (4 CDS) £14,99 – Early rap/funk/soul brilliance

All the above will be well packaged, yours, rippable and come with great photos and text.

Anyone found any better ????

P.S. The other great news from this announcement is the price of Beatles CDs which seem to remain constant are dropping. Cheers Mr Jobs.

blog comments powered by Disqus